Sunday, July 21, 2013

Crabby Wallet Review

Product Name: Crabby Wallet
                 
Product Value Proposition: A minimalist wallet that holds everything you need and nothing more.
Company Name: Crabby Gear
Company URL: http://www.crabbygear.com/
Kickstarter Campaign URL: http://www.kickstarter.com/the-crabby-wallet
Kicktraq Profile: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1369622196/the-crabby-wallet-a-wallet-that-is-not-for-everyon/


KICKSTARTER RESULT:
The Crabby Wallet funded successfully with a final amount that was $298,000 more than their original goal of $10,000. Yes, you read that right, Crabby's team received over $308,000 from 15,129 backers over a 36-day Kickstarter campaign.

The CRABBY Wallet: A wallet that is not for everyone... -- Kicktraq Mini PROS:
- the design features a minimalist's wallet in every sense of the definition
- the strap keeps the cards and cash in place while also being able to hold an iPhone. this was a big selling point for me
- loop on the side of the wallet allows for a keyring to be attached
- cool crab logo stitched into the wallet


CONS:
- basically everything
- not built to last
- falls apart quickly
- not sure what cards they were using in photos but it does not hold up to 10 cards
- the price. this wallet is not worth $16.95. hell, I wouldn't even pay $5 for it



FINAL RATING:
- UPDATED - 2 out of 10. I originally gave the Crabby Wallet a 9 out of 10 but I was greatly mistaken. I posted the original review the day I received the wallet in the mail and that was a huge mistake on my part. The only thing that brought down the rating originally was the extreme delay in receiving the product but now looking back the delayed delivery is the least of my concerns. The Crabby Wallet is simply not built to last. The Kickstarter Campaign showed images of the Crabby Wallet holding up to 10-cards but my wallet lasted less than 4 weeks after only carrying 2-3 cards, some cash, and occasionally my iPhone in the strap.

The presentation on Kickstarter was awesome and the video was spectacular but the wallet I received in the mail was much different than the wallet I thought I would receive when backing the project on Kickstarter. I actually pledged for two Crabby Wallets, one was supposed to be for me and one for a friends. But my first wallet deteriorated so quickly that I refuse to give the second wallet to a friends knowing that it will simply fall apart in a matter of weeks. It appears that the Crabby Wallet team was not ready for the immense support they received on Kickstarter and produced a subpar product. I understand that the delivery of the wallets was delayed due to this immense support but to make the backers wait a couple months longer than expected and then send them a subpar product is inexcusable.

The only reason I gave the Crabby Wallet a 2 out of 10 instead of a 1 is because of the concept. The idea is excellent but the execution is far from satisfactory. Despite the poor rating, I do believe it is fair to call the Crabby Wallet a "minimalist" wallet because you will in fact use it for a minimal amount of time. If you are looking for a high quality wallet, look elsewhere.





4 comments:

  1. The wallet is exactly what I expected. I love it.
    However, there is one "design flaw" or one suggestion that I have for improvement. Because of the location of the strap/band, when you remove a credit card, a large amount of pressure is placed on the seam of the fabric right behind the loop. (key right attachment). After a week of very light use (used my card maybe 5 times) it is starting to tear right behind the seam. I suggest making that fabric stronger or having more of a reinforcement at that one point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wallet completely deteriorated after 2 weeks of use. I have contacted the company with pictures and request for next steps and have got nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with both of your comments. My wallet began to fall apart almost immediately and I am extremely disappointed. In fact, I would say the weak construction of this wallet makes me feel quite "crabby."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Backed this wallet with simple wallet, this one fall apart after a few days and simple wallet still holds everything tight. They are good people, check them out at www.gosimplewallet.com

    ReplyDelete